Friday, October 31, 2014

Blog Post #7

Between Barack and a Hard Place: Challenging Racism, Privilege, and Denial
By Tim Wise

REFLECTION

When I started this video, I honestly was not looking forward to watching the hour and forty minute long video at all.  However, once I started watching and speaker Tim Wise began his discussion/ lecture, I was thoroughly intrigued with what he had to say.  The way he presented his thoughts and opinions was entertaining as well as thought provoking.

In his lecture, he talks about how white people are so quick to judge and stereotype those who are not white, even before they know anything about them.  Tim told a story about his experience traveling on an airplane, and seeing that the two pilots were African American.  His immediate thoughts, even he an anti-racism activist, had the thought "I hope everything goes smoothly".  These are the types of unintentional racism that many people experience.  If asked if you are racist, odds are people are not going to admit that they are, or often don't think that they are.  However, it is experiences and thoughts like this that make us realize that most, if not all, of us have at some point or another in our lives had racist, stereotypical thoughts about one race or another.  We have become so accustomed to this way of thinking that we do not think about what it is we are actually being, and that is racist.

This video really connected in my mind to the privilege and power reading we discussed in class.  Tim's experience on the plane alone, is an exact example of this.  Had those two pilots been white, Tim would not have thought twice of the safety of the plane and the success of the trip.  These pilots would have the privilege of being white to stabilize the ideas of others.  The two African American pilot's although they might as well have been just as skilled and qualified, if not more so, than two white pilot's but because of the color of their skin they immediately get questioned and stereotyped.


Points to bring up in class:
Although a lot of us may not have realized it at the time, could there have been instances in the past week, month, 3 months where we had a racist or stereotypical thought.  Why do you think when nothing is said about being racist by an individual, it is automatically perceived by others as if they are racist?


4 comments:

  1. I thought the same exact thing at the beginning. I put my headphones in and was like oh great this is going to take a while. But once I realized that he was actually pretty funny and SO NOT bored I was like alright this is great! Also, I really like your points you want to bring up in class, I wonder what everyone will say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cartoon you posted because I feel like a lot of white people think this. If only they stepped in the shoes of someone who is not white and experienced what they do on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your comic. Many white people think that because they themselves have never been intentionally racist, they still don't understand that they benefit from the oppression of people of color for hundreds of years. I like that it showed a timeline of racism, and those attitudes and policies from back then are STILL affecting us today, and it is incredibly important for people, especially people of european descent, to see this, acknowledge the corruption of the system, and educate themselves so they can spread progressive ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that when I first saw the video, I didn't want to sit through it, but then it really captured my interest. I liked the comic, because it clearly shows how white people benefit in life without even realizing it, while others have it so much harder, and that is so unfair and unjust.

    ReplyDelete